Skip to main content

Intermap Wins Major Indonesian Mapping Contract

By Eric Van Rees - 25th January 2024 - 09:19

Intermap Technologies, a global provider of 3D geospatial products and intelligence solutions, announced it has won a $20 million contract to map the Island of Sulawesi, Indonesia in 2024.

The Contract is the first phase of the Indonesian national topographic basemap program to create a national digital basemap as part of the One Map program backed by Presidential Decree. Under the One Map program’s approved technical specifications, the government will collect airborne IFSAR-derived elevation data and cloud-free radar imagery for the entire country at resolutions suitable for 1:5,000 scale mapping. The first phase awarded today represents 10% of the country’s land area and 10% of the One Map program. Work on the remaining 90% is expected over the subsequent four years.

Indonesia’s national geospatial agency, Badan Informasi Geospasial (BIG), has been mandated to create a national digital basemap. Indonesia is the fourth most populous country and one of the largest and fastest-growing economies in Southeast Asia, strategically positioned on the major trade route through the South China Sea. Basemaps play a critical role in policy formation, decision-making and implementation of activities such as natural resource management, disaster response and spatial planning. Creating basemaps to the 1:5,000 scale specification requires high-resolution remote sensing data, including imagery and digital elevation models (DEMs), to extract details like buildings, roads, land cover and terrain features. Indonesia is home to the world’s largest tropical peatlands and mangrove forests as well as the third largest tropical rainforest. These natural resources are vital in capturing carbon, helping mitigate climate change impacts, and are key resources for supporting Indonesia’s long-term development. Basemaps are essential for developing spatial plans, emergency response and natural disaster rehabilitation.

Read More: 3D Modelling Laser Scanning Emergency Services

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay updated on the latest technology, innovation product arrivals and exciting offers to your inbox.