Skip to main content

GMV is Europe’s 7th biggest employer in the space sector

By Eric Van Rees - 13th August 2020 - 08:40

Eurospace’s 24th facts & figures annual report on Europe’s space industry highlights the role played by the technology multinational GMV over recent years, accounting for 2.06% of full time employment in 2019 out of total of 47,895 workers (+5.7%).

From the employment point of view, therefore, GMV is disputing with RUAG the sixth ranking in Europe’s space sector, behind the big firms like Airbus, Thales, Ariane, Leonardo and OHB. Eurospace’ s yearly survey is backed by all major space firms and gives a faithful snapshot of the sector.

Jobs generated by Europe’s main space firms

Although the big three (Airbus, Thales y Leonardo) are directly responsible for nearly half of the total jobs, companies like GMV are generating more and more jobs while adding to Europe’s space skillset. In 2019 Europe’s space sector chalked up total sales worth 8.756 billion euros (a 2.6% increase).

Space activity 2015-2019

Looking at worldwide space activity from 2015 to 2019, we find that the USA ranks first with China and Russia now disputing second place and Europe standing at fourth.

European institutional programs and markets

Europe’s space sales are recorded mainly by public clients, who weigh in with 71% of the total, private clients accounting for the remaining 29%.

Europe’s public institutions, including ESA, the national space agencies, EUMETSAT, the army and the EC, are historically Europe’s main space clients. They currently account for 63% of sales, on the strength of the steady demand from ESA, the EU and national civil programs.

Europe’s institutional programs generated a revenue of 5,5 B €. ESA still accounts for the lion’s share, 2,8 B € or 51%. Revenue from national programs (civil and military) have also continued growing, up to a value of 1,7 B € or 30% of the total. EU programs (mainly Copernicus and GNSS) accounted for 0,8 B € or 15% of total revenue. Revenue from commercial segments and exports has almost bounced back to 2017 levels after the crunch of 2018, reaching 37% of the industry’s total.

Read More: Satellite Imaging Defence Military

Subscribe to our newsletter

Stay updated on the latest technology, innovation product arrivals and exciting offers to your inbox.

Newsletter