The GIS Certification Institute (GISCI) has created the GISCI Endorsement Designation Program to help increase the value of GISP Certification for our primary stakeholders, and to help facilitate the growth of the GISP Program within the geospatial community.
The GISCI will grant the GISCI Endorsement Designation to organizations that the GISCI deems to be supportive of GIS Professionals and the GISP Certification process by way of internal activities, programs, and policies. The designation is not only a commitment to GISP Certification for staff, but also to upholding the ideals of the GIS Certification Institute.
The GISCI Endorsement Designation is available to all organizations (public, private/commercial) with exception of GISCI member organizations. Organizations seeking the GISCI Endorsement Designation must submit a formal application listing the criteria met as verified by the organization’s HR representative. A review committee will evaluate each application and if the organization meets the criteria, the committee will forward the application to the GISCI Board of Directors for approval. Each approved GISCI Endorsement will last for three (3) years, provide the organization with permission to display their organization logo on our website and provide permission to display the GISCI Endorsement designation on their website. There is no cost to obtain this designation.
For an organization to receive the GISCI Endorsement Designation they must meet a minimum set of requirements as well as some (but not necessarily all) of the optional requirements. All organizations must meet the following industry-standard criteria:
- Encourage or require all GIS staff to have or obtain GISP certification during employment with the organization.
- Pay for initial GISP certification fees for candidates.
- Pay for ongoing GISP recertification fees for candidates.
In addition, organizations are strongly encouraged to meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Pay for ongoing specialized training.
- Pay for GIS-related continuing education courses.
- Tie compensation to GISP Certification (e.g., bonus, raises)
- Promotion criteria includes required GISP Certification
- Provide support for ongoing activities to maintain certification (e.g., conference attendance and presentations, membership in professional societies)
- As an organization, strive to meet the ethical standards of the GIS Certification Institute and support their GISPs in meeting those standards
If an organization wishes to apply for the GISCI Endorsement Designation, please send an email to Tony Spicci, GISCI Executive Director, at [email protected] requesting the designation. The application should include a cover letter requesting the designation and adherence to the minimum qualifications and required criteria along with a summary of how the organization either currently meets or plans to meet one or more of the additional criteria. If the organization meets the qualifications and the review Committee approves the request, the GISCI will send additional information to complete the process. There is no cost to obtain this designation.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Stay updated on the latest technology, innovation product arrivals and exciting offers to your inbox.Newsletter