As part of the roadmap to certification of national spatial data as official, the Namibia Statistics Agency (NSA) which is coordinating the establishment of the national spatial data infrastructure (NSDI), is formulating a structured capacity building plan for participating government institutions. The two parts programme consists firstly of a focused annual capacity building programme in mapping and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) provided to regional and national technical personnel of different government bodies. Secondly is the development of standards practical implementation guidelines which are to be structured into a focused capacity building programme.
The NSA has formulated two standards on spatial data quality and metadata for describing geospatial data and services in Namibia. The standards guide both data quality assessment and metadata documentation of government spatial datasets. All custodians of government spatial data shall comply with the specifications provided in the two standards. The implementation of the two standards necessitate the development of a practical handbook to serve as a Practical guide: The NSDI Spatial Data Quality and Metadata Practical Handbook.
It is against this background that the NSA requires proposals, both technical and financial, from suitably qualified individual consultants/ academic institutions / firms to compile the different modules of the handbook as indicated in the Indicative Curriculum.
2. INDICATIVE PRACTICAL HANDBOOK
The practical handbook must document both quantitative and qualitative spatial data quality elements as per the NSDI standard using Namibian examples. The handbook should also provide simplified explanatory notes with examples where possible on each of the metadata elements of the metadata standard. The envisaged training material must cover, but not limited to the following topics:
- Chapter 1: Practical Assessment of Positional Accuracy
- Chapter 2: Practical Assessment of Thematic Accuracy (both qualitative and quantitative)
- Chapter 3: Practical Assessment of Temporal Quality
- Chapter 4: Practical Assessment of Completeness
- Chapter 5: Practical Assessment of Logical Consistency (topological, domain and conceptual consistencies)
- Chapter 6: Documenting Quality Overview Elements
- Chapter 7: Namibia Metadata Elements Explanatory Notes
- Annex 1: Overall Data Quality Assessment Checklist
- Annex 2: Complete Data Quality Assessment Report Template
The first five (5) chapters should be accompanied by a standard template for Spatial Data Quality Assessment Report. A data quality checklist and complete quality assessment report must be provided as annexures to the handbook. These shall be used by the NSA and NSDI institutions in the quality evaluation of datasets.
The consultant shall submit 2 printed book-bonded format handbooks and all the digital copies including practical exercises on a USB.
Delivery: Two (2) months from the date of signing the contract.
3. QUALIFICATIONS OF CONSULTANTS
Consultants are expected to have the following minimum qualifications and experience:
- At least a Master’s degree in Geo-Informatics, Land Surveying, GIS and Geography or related fields from a reputable tertiary institution
- Five years of technical geo-information industry work
- Grounded knowledge of the area(s) of interest as listed in the indicative curriculum above
- Practical experience in developing training material will be an added advantage
- Knowledge and exposure to NSDI technical development globally will also be an added advantage
4. DEADLINE AND SUBMISSION OF PROPOSALS
Technical and financial proposals must be submitted on or before Friday, 24 November 2017, 16H30. Proposals in sealed envelopes and clearly marked as: NSDI Spatial Data Quality and Metadata Practical Handbook, can be hand delivered or emailed to the addresses below.
Physical Delivery Address: Tender Box
NSA Head Office
Post Street Mall
Note: Late proposals will be rejected.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Stay updated on the latest technology, innovation product arrivals and exciting offers to your inbox.Newsletter